Sunday, August 7, 2011

The "2012" List - #4 The Spokane Loop

The best part about the "2012" list is that I'll do all the planning (and since I love to plan, it's a side benefit for me) and ya'll just get to come along. And since I'm sure you're all dying for details on the events I'll start with #4 The Spokane Loop.

Set your calendars : June 23-24 will be the weekend.

First, because it's a loop you can start and finish at any point. Since I'll be starting in Olympia I am going to consider that the starting point. The times are off of current schedules, so as long as nothing major changes with Amtrak this is the plan.

Step 1
Depart Olympia (OLW) at 12:45pm on Saturday, June 23rd on 513 Amtrak Cascades headed to Portland, OR (PDX) and arrive at 2:55pm

Step 2
Depart PDX at 4:45pm on Saturday, June 23rd on 28 Empire Builder headed to Spokane, WA (SPK) and arrive at 12:45am on Sunday, July 24th.

Step 3
Depart SPK at 2:15am on Sunday, July 24th on 7 Empire Builder headed to Seattle, WA (SEA) and arrive at 10:25am.

Step 4
Depart SEA at 11:25am on 513 Amtrak Cascades to Olympia and arrive at 12:45pm.

Cost
I priced it out today and the current price (as of today) for 1 person for Reserved Coach Tickets is between $146 and $210. This is not for the specific weekend in question, and different weekends got different prices. It seems the further in advance tickets are purchased, the cheaper they may be.

It is probably a good idea to book a room on the the Spokane to Seattle leg so you can actually sleep -- It is best to purchase tickets in pairs (or one person books the room & splits the cost with the other) when doing this as each room has two beds. It adds approximately $200 for two people or $100 per person.

No comments:

Post a Comment